Cyber Security or information technologies are the set of techniques and control used to protect the valuable data, networks and system from cyber attack or cyber threats (application attack, malware, ransom-ware, phishing, exploit kits and etc). According to Forbes, the global cyber security market is looking forward to reach $170 billion by 2020. This rapid market growth is being fueled by the trends of technologies like bring your own device (BYOD) and Internet of Things (IoT). Many organizations also adopting the cloud based applications and workload so the cyber security is needed to protect the data and information from the unauthorized access.
The following elements are included in cyber security:
- Application security: Protect application from warning that can come through fault in application design, development, deployment and maintenance. Some basic techniques are applied like input parameter validation, authentication and authorization, session management and auditing and logging.
- Information security: protect the important information from unauthorized access. Authorization of user and cryptography techniques are used to secure information.
- Network security: it’s a target to stop the entry and spreading the threats on the network. Antivirus, firewall to stop the unauthorized access, intrusion prevention system (IPS) to detect the fast spreading threats and VPN (virtual private network) to give protected remote access.
- Disaster recovery: it is a process of planning that includes developing recovery schemas, build priorities. Every organization has a concrete plan for disaster recovery.
- Operational security: organizations are facing operation cyber risks each and every day like human error, system and software faults and criminal activities.
- End user education: end user plays very important role in the organization’s security to help keep the organization secure. Organization establish the awareness and training of cyber security programmers that deliver the knowledge of cyber attack and build a security conscious culture.
- Cloud security: number of enterprises or companies move into the cloud technology so create the new security challenges. For example, Cambridge Analytica discloses the personal information of facebook users for the use of political and commercial purpose.
A victorious cyber security approach has multiple layer of protection. User must understand the basic cyber security principles like applying strong password, back up the data etc.
Nowadays world is connected with each and every person, so the cyber security play important role in digital communication network. Everyone need cyber-defense program. At individual level, someone can loss of important data like family photos and personal information by the cyber attack.
Following are common threats:
- Cyber-terrorism: is the upsetting use of information technology by terrorist groups to further their ideological or political agenda.
- Cyber-warfare: using information technology to crack other nation’s network to disruption. Cyber-warfare has been declared as fifth domain of warfare (land, sea, air and space). Cyber-warfare attack firstly implemented by the hackers who are well trained and know the complexity of computer networks. Cyber-warfare attack may degrade communication, damage infrastructural services as transportation, medical and commerce services.
- Cyber-espionage: using information technology to get the secret information without the authorization of owners. It is mostly use to earning economic, political and military advantage. It is operate using cracking and malware techniques.